Saturday, February 12, 2011

The Lookout

Click on title to see IMDb info on The Lookout a 2007 crime/thriller drama

Written & Directed by Scott Frank
Starring Joseph Gordon-Levitt, Jeff Daniels, Matthew Goode, and Isla Fisher
Distributed by Miramax Films (USA) & Buena Vista International (Non-USA)

What can I say about this movie? (You know me, I can always say a lot.) It was reviewed (according to IMDb) 368 official times, not to mention all the clips and interviews and trailers all over the Internet, plus the amateurs like me who throw in their 2-cents worth.

I don't do reviews, I give my opinions. I try not to post spoilers. However, I'm sure everyone in the known Universe knows the story by now.

The plot is not the biggie here, though the script is excellent. It's what "they" say is a character-driven-story. I believe it was more thought-provoking than entertainment. I experienced this movie rather than just watching it.

Part of the problem in being a writer is that I can't just watch a movie without analyzing it. This movie created a feeling of impending doom, especially when I knew what was inevitably coming. The suspense became heightened with the premonitions woven into the story.

I watch a movie a second time (or more) just to enjoy it, rather than sitting there biting my nails dreading possible surprises. I can appreciate the details in subsequent viewings. I admit I am a coward when it comes to suspense especially if it hints at emotional pain and violence.

Joseph Gordon-Levitt was, without saying, wonderful. He carried the movie. I believe he was in every scene. He portrayed a complex character using a good deal of subtlety and power. It was his story, told from his point of view. The other characters/actors fully supported Gordon-Levitt. Not one of them tried to overshadow him or steal the attention for themselves.

Jeff Daniels, who received second billing (over Matthew Goode who got third billing) was the best I've ever seen him. He's gone from a weak but charming actor (mostly as Mr. Nice Guy in those made-for-Hallmark type movies) to a good actor who created here a multifaceted character integral to the story/movie.

I got the impression his was the type of character like Andy Taylor on Mayberry who could go from "Well, howdy there, y'all. Welcome to our quaint little village," to a guy who can say "Okay, asshole, cut the bullshit." Jeff Daniels showed this quality without an in-your-face attitude as an important character as Gordon-Levitt's closest friend.

Matthew Goode was good in his role as the leader of the bad guys. He did a fair American accent. His deep voice and the accent he affected reminded me of another actor's that I couldn't' quite place. He looked completely different in this movie (a given for him.) In the Special Features (which was excellent in itself) he surprised them by wanting to audition for the part appearing so inappropriate for the tough guy role based on his role in Match Point. Everyone was amazed that he literally transformed himself when he read for the part. The director said he felt that Matthew could do anything. I was pleased to hear that someone else noticed Matthew literally becomes a character. (The only other actor I have heard this about was Meryl Streep.)

I was relieved that the violence was underplayed as an inevitable part of the story. It wasn't one of those typical shoot-em-up, violence for violence's sake, or added for shock value. The one thing I felt bad about was the tragedy of one character who died who shouldn't have.

The movie was well-done and worth seeing, even the Special Feature section. It was enjoyable seeing the cast and crew talk about the movie and its production.

I hope you enjoy it. If you don't, push the eject button, send it back and miss a quality film.

No comments: