Friday, February 18, 2011

The King's Speech

Clik on title above for BAFTA 2011 Awards


I saw The King's Speech yesterday. The theater is littered with retirees who don't have anything better to do in the afternoon. Including me.

Mostly I go to the theater for the popcorn. (I hope someone does a study to see how much each kernel costs in bag that's more than the cost of the movie tickets.) I don't go very often. I notice the theaters aren't popping as much popcorn anymore. You'd think if they lowered the price they could make it up in volume.)

I prefer to watch movies at home so I can rewind and listen again to the words I didn't catch. (I think with all the big movie complexes they ought to set up one with subtitles for the hard of hearing people and those who can't listen fast enough for the way people talk today. Especially the young people.) I love British movies but, you've heard me write before that I find that accent the hardest to understand. Though in King's Speech I believe they tried to tone it down for non-British listening audiences.

OK. So. King's Speech. It was a well-done movie. Nothing to rave about after you see it. Not being blown away with excitement by the story nor the acting. I would say it was good entertainment for an afternoon. But that's it. No feeling of amazement coming out of the theater. Though, not "What the hell was that about?" like after seeing Inception.

King's Speech is a bit understated. Perhaps that's how British like their movies? It's a bit tame for American viewers, though it's a movie that reaches a more cerebral viewer in the US.

I didn't know a thing about King George VI prior to seeing this movie. I certainly hope scriptwriters adhere to more of "the truth" than they did in older biographical movies.

The sets and costumes were impressive.

The King's Speech was nominated and won a series of awards from BAFTA (British film awards.) Best picture, best British film, best actor, best supporting actress, best supporting actor, and several other categories such as best original screenplay.

It's also nominated for numerous Academy Awards which air Feb. 27, 2011. It's probably going to be the same as watching the British Academy Awards this year.

The awards are seldom given to the movies I feel are the highest and best. Then sometimes I'm pleasantly surprised like when American Beauty won best picture number of years ago. And Little Miss Sunshine got an award for something. I did think that Phantom of the Opera should have won more than best song. It wasn't even the best song in that movie.)

I would like to see my favorite actors and actresses win sometimes too. I don't necessarily choose them for just that one role. I think you have to watch a number of movies of that actor/actress to appreciate just how good they are based on versatility and ability to act well from one movie to the next. I often choose them just because I like that person and their qualities in real life.

So, go see The King's Speech if for no other reason than to support the movie making industry and keep theaters from being overtaken by DVDs and Blue-ray. You can skip the popcorn.

1 comment:

Sandy Schairer said...

Congratulations to Colin Firth who won the 2011 Academy Awards for his role in The King's Speech. He deserved it for A Single Man in 2010, but it's never too late.