Sunday, July 24, 2011

Gattaca

I really appreciate my local library for stocking old movies. I still have a VHS player which increases my viewing variety. They'll soon be obsolete and, sadly, filling landfills.)

I watched a really really old movie (well, old as Hollywood goes) Gattaca from 1997, staring Ethan Hawke and Uma Thurman.

The movie was eerie. That seems to have made it unique...I think.

I enjoyed the cinematography. It was a bit monotonous but I think that was one of the points.

I wanted to see more of Jude Law. He did well but not enough of him.

It was amazing that the casting crew found children and teens that resembled Vincent and Anton so well. (I often suspect them of casting the stars' children as their younger versions. But seldom since most natural children don't resemble their parents at all.)

Anyway, the movie was a milder form of science fiction--what Asimov liked to call sci-fi, what I call fake science fiction. (I suspect he was referring to a a science fiction story written by a non-science fiction writer. I could be wrong about Gattaca though.)

The plot was secondary to the visual scenes. A good deal of it was left open to interpretation...like what planet were they on? Was that really the sun or a simulation of a sunrise? And how come nobody recognized that Hawke's Jerome was wearing contact lenses? Did they just help him see clearly or did they alter his eye color?

Anyway, if you like mystifying sci-fi and moderately old movies from 1990's you might like it.

It's not bad (regardless of the negative viewer comments I read on the Internet. I don't know what the critics said, but who cares?

No comments: