Tuesday, March 8, 2011

TV MOVIES: Lying to Be Perfect

Click on title to see IMDb entry on this movie

Photo of Poppy Mongomery

Some of the good movies don't get their start at the theater box office. They're the made-for-a-particular-channel movies. And I don't particularly mean HBO or other premium channels or even PBS mini-series.

I'm speaking of the movies made for Hallmark and Lifetime and other channels. Many of them feature one or two known television stars (mostly from a popular series or a previous series) and a lot of supporting actors no one ever heard of unless they've seem them in another TV series or movie.

Several other merits of TV movies is that they have breaks for commercials built in and don't just cut for a break in the middle of a sentence. They don't have to cut out pieces of them to fit in commercials. And they don't have much cussing that needs to be bleeped out. (And heck, I remember the days when a movie that was in color instead of black and white was considered a good movie.)

I just watched one today. I use that term loosely 'watched.' Often I have the television on for company or just plain noise when I'm doing something else. Today I was knitting and straightening my room. (That usually mean I move things around from from pile to pile or stick them in another room.)

It was Lying to Be Perfect. I think that was a take off on Dying to Be Perfect. I suspected it would have something to do with dieting and was curious if they were going to spread a bunch of crap about dieting can save you, etc.

It starred Poppy Montgomery who played an FBI agent on Without a Trace. She's British but does a good American accent. I assume it's because she lived here now.

In this movie she played a "fat" girl with two "fat" friends. She worked as an editor at a publishing firm. She was an aspiring writer and when her proposal was turned down by her firm she invented a young beautiful British girl who won fame and a book contract with her firm.

In the meantime, she and her two women friends made a pact to start living healthy, exercising and eating right, and raising their self-esteem so they could start living the lives they wanted.

Of course the main girl had to confess to lying about her secret (which I would just claimed was my pen name, of course.) She had to reveal her identity eventually and by then, of course, she was a knockout.

But all the girls realized that it was their sense of self-worth and their attitudes towards themselves that needed healing not just their overweight.

I think they did a tolerable job of showing women losing weight without giving women the world over the idea that just looking good is the solution to all their problems. I think a couple of the lessons they "taught" was about finding courage to be yourself, learn to accept and love yourself, and if you're good at something you just have to express yourself with your talent as yourself and the truth will prove it to you. And the truth never hurts.

To be absolutely clear, some of the movies on LMN, Lifetime and Hallmark and other fancy channels can be quite awful. But some of them are quite good. Written by real writers and played by good actors even if they aren't famous or looking perfect.

If you happen to tune in to one you don't like, turn it off. Remember my rule "Life is too short to read crappy books and watch crappy movies." (So stop doing that unless you're attempting to write a movie blog.)

No comments: