Sunday, March 6, 2011

CEMETERY JUNCTION

Writers & Directors: Ricky Gervais, Stephen Merchant
Staring: Christian Cooke, Felicity Jones, Tom Hughes, Jack Doolan
With: Ricky Gervais, Ralph Fiennes, and Matthew Goode


I watched two movies yesterday. Black Swan at 4 Hills Theater, Albuquerque, NM, and the Netflix rental I saw at home afterwards was Cemetery Junction. I rented it to see Matthew Goode in yet another role. He had a smaller part but was, as always, good. I enjoyed seeing yet another hair style, and hear him use a different British accent than his own.

It's a UK movie from 2010, set in 1973, in a neighborhood where Ricky Gervais grew up. Cemetery Junction is an actual road junction in Reading, Britain. According to this story, it's a town in which people get stuck and live the same lives as their parents, never quite getting away to the outside world. I don't know if that's true, I've never been there (and never plan to visit.)

I am beginning to notice the subtle differences between English accents in Great Britain. They have a distinctive accent in Reading. I enjoyed hearing it in Cemetery Junction.

The movie is a comedy. Three boys--changing into men--discover themselves while in repetitious pastimes that they realize they must soon give up. They find themselves changed by these circumstances and by their own choices.

The town in the movie did look pretty dull. (And some of the residents were quite weird.) No wonder the kids had to create their own excitement. A couple times it landed them in jail. Luckily they had an older lovable cop friend who gave them some guidance.

It's not a laugh-out-loud comedy. It's not silly. It's touching and funny and thought-provoking. Oddly enough, Ricky Gervais who co-wrote and co-directed this story, played a non-funny part as one of the boy's father.

It has a happy ending and nothing awful happens in the movie. My favorite kind of movie.

I liked it better than Black Swan which I also saw yesterday.) I would watch Cemetery Junction again. (I might even rent Black Swan after it's on DVD awhile. I will have forgotten most of it by then.)

Enjoy Cemetery Junction if you like British comedy. (I wish more young adults would watch movies like this one, they might learn something. Though didn't we all have to learn to grow up the hard way?)

No comments: