Friday, February 4, 2011

Turner Classic Movies


Turner Classic Movie channel is having 31 Days of Oscar Winning movies, which started Feb. 1 through March 3. Uncut and commercial free.

Click on Turner Classic Movies above to see their website and schedule.

I like the movies from the 1930's and 1940's the best.

I was just wondering why the actors all spoke like Franklin Roosevelt. Was that supposed to be THE American accent denoting educated, upper class people? It sounds strange now.

The FX of the days weren't half bad either. I saw part of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde with Fredric March (1931.) The transformation of the doctor into his "evil twin" was well done. And it was all done without animation. Cool. The make-up was very well done even though Mr. Hyde looked a bit like a glorified ape.

The old movies give us a very good idea of what the fashions, hair designs, and style of make-up were popular in those days, as well as what the various buildings, furnishings and establishments looked like in those days. This was way way before the computer graphics used today.

Some of these old movies can be quite funny especially when they are serious. The seriousness may seem overly dramatic today.

The lines, too, are just so strange to us now. Take the line from Dr. Jekyll speaking to his fiance. "Marry me, darling, marry me. Marry me. I can't WAIT any longer." Now-a-days, we don't wait...if you catch my drift.

Enjoy an old movie on a TV near you today!!!

No comments: