Friday, February 18, 2011

Hollywood Teeth

I am so pissed off (I mean angry) that everyone in movies and on television has to have perfect, bright white teeth now.

What the hell? One's teeth are supposed to be as different from other's teeth the way fingerprints are different.

And let's face it. Bright white is NOT the color real teeth are "supposed to" be. White teeth aren't natural. They look rather like neon signs.

I've have heard of the new "dentures" that slip on OVER one's own teeth. I wish these contraptions could be removed along with costumes and make-up so the movie stars can go home to their real lives wearing their real teeth. Or they could go back to their "old" teeth in movies if their fans wanted them to.

I hate to see everyone on the screen getting their teeth straightened, capped, bleached and other miserable procedures so they can all have "perfect" teeth so they can all look alike. But at least the days are over when movie stars had all their teeth pulled and wore those sets of dentures that come out and soak in a glass all night. I'm not disparaging anyone who actually needs dentures, but movie stars who didn't need them got them. It was probably required in their contracts.

The fans don't really want their favorite celebrities to LOOK perfect. We want them to look unique and charming. We want to recognize them underneath the role they're playing.

Take Matthew Goode for instance (I know, I know, you're getting sick of me writing about him all the time.) I now know why he looks so different in Leap Year than in his other movies. It's his teeth. His teeth were different as well as his accent, hair and beard.

In his previous movies he had a charming way of talking. His front teeth were slightly misaligned with each other, and there was a small gap in his teeth on the left side. Evidently adapting over the years gave him a distinctive way of speaking. He no doubt felt he had to "protect" his irregularities from the camera, but his talking and smiling with the right side of his mouth was charming. I loved it. It was part of his delightful performance in Imagine Me and You.

I often notice the way an actor speaks and smiles. Maybe other people don't.

I can see why a person might feel conspicuous over less-than-perfect teeth. Crooked teeth, missing teeth, they may think, makes them look "bad." They want to get their teeth fixed, especially if they are very crooked or if they've had an injury to the face or mouth that altered their teeth. It's not just an ego thing because they're wanting to correct something unfortunate that they feel "ruined" their appearance. Even if it were the result of falling out of a tree when they were children or getting clonked in face with a football as a teenager.

So I don't blame Matthew Goode for having his teeth fixed. After all, he and other celebrities can afford the dental work when they become successful.

But I'm rather disappointed because I LIKED the ways Matthew talked and smiled in his various movies. He was adorable. (Additional COmments: I watched Matthew closely in Leap Year again and I think his smile is still his old one. Tho I saw him on YouTube in an interview and it did look like his teeth were different. It remains to be seen. His last movie was Jan. 2010. It's been a year. It's time we saw his new movies. Rah-rah.

Photo of Matthew Goode with cute smile

So if anyone can tell me more Matthew Goode and his teeth and/give me your own opinion, leave me some comments. Thanks.

No comments: