Thursday, January 27, 2011

The Tudors


The series originally seen on Showtime is now showing on BBC America (cable and satellite) with commercial breaks, and I daresay, it's censored for adult content, but not much. It will probably never make it to network TV or PBS.)

The focus of the story is Henry the VIII played by Jonathan Rhys-Meyers, the good-looking British hunk from Match Point (already reviewed.)

I loved it on Showtime but missed a great deal of it. I was glad to see it on BBC on Wednesday nights at a reasonable hour. It’s done with big screen quality in one- hour episodes. You can see the previous episode the hour before the “new” one in case you miss an episode. I believe there are three seasons, but I’m not sure if BBC will carry all of them. It helps to start from Season 1 and Episode 1 when Henry becomes King. (I think you can see them on the internet, too.)

The acting, costumes and sets are super. It’s emotional without being painful. Literary and artistic but comprehensible. Music is period and unobtrusive, but most scenes are done with no musical background. Exceptional television show. British series often are. Try to catch it. It’s worth watching if you can on watch one episode. It’s spell-binding.

I don’t know how true to history the series is, but Jonathan is beyond good. (I’m running out of superlatives. Groan.) GOOD, truly, GOOD.

You get the message now I love movies and “critique” most of them as good (for lack of a better word.) In fact, I don’t think I’d watch a bad movie just to review it. I’m a reviewer not a critic. I think critics enjoy bad-mouthing movies. Not I.

No comments: