Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Match Point 2005

Click on title above to see IMDb info about movie


Director: Woody Allen, Writer: Woody Allen
Stars: Jonathan Rhys-Meyers, Scarlett Johansson, Emily Mortimer, and Matthew Goode

Story is about a former tennis pro who falls for a sexy American girl who happens to be involved with his friend and soon-to-be brother-in-law. It takes him into a world he has never know before. Most of the movie is about falling deeper and deeper into that world. Does he ever really get out?

There's not much more I can say about this movie other than pointing to the list of nominations and wins in the film industry. Too many to list here with the acception of the Academy Award nomination for Woody Allen. (See link to these nominations and awards on IMDb.

Previous Woody Allen movies have not been any of my favorite movies--perhaps because of their type of humor. However, this was different (a drama thriller) and one of his best if not his the best. (Woody Allen agreed with this himself. See Wikipedia entry for Match Point.)

This movie was so suspenseful I could hardly stand it. It's impossible to figure out what's going to happen in advance (and I'm usually good at guessing since I'm a writer and have studied various types of writing including screenplays.) I always appreciate a story that keeps me guessing.

Everyone's acting was exceptional. And I got to see my favorite actor Matthew Goode. He's always good. (I don't ever expect to see him do badly in a movie even a bad movie.) Definitely rent and see this one.

See Jonathan Rhys-Myers as Henry the VIII in The Tudors series now being shown on BBC. (as of Jan. 2010.)

No comments: