Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Imagine Me and You


As my loyal readers may remember, I fell in love with Leap Year and Matthew Goode's acting. I vowed to watch my way through all of his movies, even those in which he was a supporting actor. I joined NetFlix to expedite that end.

I recently did a review of Matthew Goode's movie Brideshead Revisited and frankly, I wasn't truly impressed with it, nor with Matthew's performance.

Tonight I watched Imagine Me and You (2005) on DVD. I thought it was a romantic comedy. Maybe it's just me being too manic-depressive, but I cried at the end. I realize now that it was a drama with a few laughs in it.

I was happy for the two women falling in love and finding a will and a way to be together. In a romance or a romantic comedy everyone ends up happily-ever-after. But not really this one. It was sad for at least one person. And for me.

It was Matthew Goode's character, Hector. The husband of one of the lead characters. In fact, he himself was one of the leads (is that...tri-stars instead of just co-stars?)

Matthew's performance was overwhelmingly good. Mainly, through his acting, I felt what Hector felt. Once again, in the same way he did in Leap Year, he convinced me that the character was completely real. Goode is a magician as I've said in other posts. He's an amazing actor. He had me in the palm of his hand. He was only 25 or 26 when this was filmed, so think how many more movies he can delight us with in the rest of his career. YES!

This movie was well done so please do watch it. (Even if you cry.) It much more than a comedy/drams It went much deeper than that. (Is that the way with European movies over American? We're spoon-feed movies in America.) And keep watching the start of the credits to see the real end of the movie.

The movie is a study in human nature. Personal. Touching. Believable. The title refers not just to a song, but to the fact that everyone imagines a relationship with a person they admire, including the 11 year old girl.

Both the woman leads in the movie are beautiful. And Matthew is gorgeous. His lovely blue eyes. And sweet smiles of which he has a magnificent repertoire, he a master at subtle but vastly varied facial expression.

I'm going to sign off now. No, not to cry but to watch it again, and as many times as I can before I need to send it back to NetFlix in order to watch the next Matthew Goode movie in my queue.

Incidentally, I told you that I have trouble understanding British accents. In this movie, the young people talk so fast, I found it impossible to listen, read the closed captioning, and watch the beautiful actresses and actor at the same time. That's a very good reason to watch it a time for each aspect.

IMPORTANT NOTE: Oh hell. I wish they would stop putting the end of a movie after the credits start. It's too easy to miss them. So be aware of this and watch it to the real ending. I'm glad I caught it after my second viewing of the movie. You will see a happier Heck. Happier ending for all. I loved Matthew's big smile at the end.

Yes. Good movie. Go for it.

Thanks and appreciation to: Director: Ol Parker, Writer: Ol Parker Stars:Piper Perabo, Lena Headey and Matthew Goode. Rated R. Fox Searchlight Movies.


No comments: