Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Leonardo DiCaprio


A word about Leo's movies. I loved Leo when he played nice, sweet, young guy roles. He was good. And cute. Some serious roles and he has been fantastic. I can't believe he hasn't won an academy award by now (since he has been nominated.)

But I don't trust his movies anymore. I think maybe he's stuck in the horror genre.

First it was Titanic, that started it all for me. I refused to see it until someone told me the end. They advertised it as a "love story." I know enough to know the difference between love stories and romances. Romances have happy endings. In love stories, one or both of them die. so I knew in advance his character didn't survive the north Atlantic icy waters.

Then was in that true story where he played the guy who went through life as an impostor and forger, Catch Me If You Can. (By the way, I can remember seeing the original guy on "What's My Line" about a hundred years ago.) Leo's character languished in a foreign jail for years and nearly starved. Icky. However, my BFF movie star Amy Adams is in this one too. Brava.

Then it was Blood Diamond. It was a violent, politically apropos story. And he dies at the end. Heart breaking. Horrible.

And then The Departed. I should have known better. Hel-lo!!! Departed means dead. Everyone died at the end but that one guy and I can't remember if he was one of the good guys or bad guys. They had undercover good guys in the nest of bad guys, and bad guys serving as cops. Leo was an undercover good guy but did everything the bad guys did, so it was hard to decide. I was disappointed to see Leo bite the dust but glad to see Matt Damon finished off. (I seriously don't like Matt. It's not that he's a bad actor. He just doesn't act at all. He may have made a turn for the better in Hearafter. Clint Eastwood actually squeezed a real performance out of Matt.)

I was recently freaked out by the DVD of Shutter Island. This movie makes Leo a bonafied horror movie star. He is insane in this movie and undergoing some weird & awful therapy. When he remembers the real circumstance of why he is in an asylum for the criminally insane, believe me, the most sane thing he could have done was go insane. It was genuinely horrible. And it's unusual that I saw it in the movie theater about a year ago and don't even remember it. Maybe I belong in an asylum for the forgetfully insane. (Is bonafied a word?)

So, I would love to see Leo in a romantic comedy. Come on, all the other popular actors have had to endure them, why not you? Get into a chick flick and learn to be a little lighthearted for us women. Laugh it up a little.

2 comments:

Abigail Schairer said...

Geena and I LOVED Shutter Island. It was nice to see a good movie with a twist and not very much violence. It was more suspense than violence.(I'm seriously not interested in gore.) Watch this movie again...especially the end. The end is what made it a good movie. -Abigail

Sandy Schairer said...

The part about his family freaked me out, however I liked rhe ending scene. I did like the ending. Leo was very good. However, I can't reveal any other parts here because it would ruin for others who haven't seen it. Thanks for your comments!