Saturday, February 24, 2007

Infamous--Glorious Review of a Work of Art

How pathetic am I? Sitting home on a Saturday night watching a movie? Not only did I sit and watch the whole movie (and what a wonderful work of art it is) but I watched the whole movie again with the commentary voice over by Douglas McGrath.

What a fabulous tool for a writer--the commentary of a movie. Previously I have listened to the commentaries of directors on movies that I was wild about. But this is a special case. Douglas McGrath was the screenwriter as well as the director.
.
Now here I am sitting at the computer writing about it. Wow.

If you are a writer and enjoy stories about other writers and have a yen for "literary" quality to your movies, presented by talented directors, writers, actors, then you will certainly appreciate my glowing opinion of this movie. I am sure many of those involved in this production consider it the master-piece of their careers. And they should. (Until the next great movie they do, of course!)

I am STUNNED that it received NOT one nomination for an Academy Award!!!!

I think perhaps we have here the subtle resistance of Hollywood against talented actors from other countries. Toby Jones and Daniel Craig are both British actors. They were so good, I can't even think of any more superlatives to use. Just...just...gosh. Fabulous.

I suspect too, for some reason, there is, in Hollywood, a slight "rejection" of a highly dramatic, even artistic, movie using stars better known for light-hearted comedies. But Sandra Bullock and Jeff Daniels were also superb in supporting roles. As was all the supporting cast. I had not one complaint. Everyone seemed so real that I was right there in the movie with them.

I have never seen Bullock and Daniels so clearly into the expression of the roles with their voices, facial expressions, exuding emotions, just wonderful. Thank you, thank you. I will never take you for granted again.

When a movie goes together like this one does, with all the elements--cinematography, costuming, music, script, true story elements, plus all the little things like foreshadowing and uses of color to convey mood...you have a classic work of art that takes the sting out of seeing so many Hollywooded-up movies that are lacking or downright terrible.

This screenplay was based on the book about Truman Capote and his own book In Cold Blood, as well as the story of his whole life actually, by George Plimpton. It brought the man Capote really was, truly alive to a depth that is breath-taking. And nearly all the scenes in the movie were accurate as to the actual event...right down to Capote's merciless gossiping.

As I said, the subject matter of a writer, to a writer, is gold when you can find it. If you are a writer, don't just watch this DVD and listen to the commentary by the screenwriter/director, study it and take into you soul.

All, I can say about the movie is mmmm, mmmm, mmmm. Magnificent.

I saw the other movie about Capote a year ago or so, and unfortunately it was before I got my hearing aids so I couldn't hear a lot of it. I thought it was a good movie, and the starring actor deserved his award, but it definitely spoke of Capote in a very different interpretation. It didn't have the depth and meaning and raw emotion that Infamous has.

Rent it, or buy and watch it.

Much impressed movie "critique" blown-away by a REAL movie, Sandy your movie critic.
Hey is anyone reading this blog? Let me know. Please. Post your comments below.

No comments: