Sunday, February 25, 2007

Academy Awards



Well, the Oscars are over.

My favorite part every year is the obituaries...I like to cry over my old favorites who have passed on.

I was thrilled that the screenwriter for Little Miss Sunshine won!!! YES. Very good.

I didn't mind that Marty won for best director for The Departed. But I was appalled that the best picture of the year in America, with all the really really good movies out there was the most bloody, negative, and violent of all the movies. With no "message" or if there was, I missed it. The other sad, bloody, and violent movies in the run-down had messages about the inspirational and strong spirit of mankind. Oh well. (The Departed was well acted but the story itself was a downer.) I guess I am just sick of America picking violence as our most representative quality. Ahh.


I was disappointed that Leo didn't win best actor. He is a very talented man. What does he have to do to win!?! He is magnificent in the two movies he was in this year. I don't want to see him sitting there when he's as old as Peter O'Toole with umpteen nominations, still waiting for his award.

I certainly hope the voters at the Academy actually watched some of the movies they voted for instead of just calling each other on the phone and picking one their friends recommended for unknown reasons.

Congrats to all the foreign movies in most of the categories, and foreign film-makers that won. It's about time Hollywood gave them equal consideration in the biggest film industry award.
Glad to see the black people being included equally now. Once we include all minorities and ethnic groups in the running, we don't have to make a specific point to give it to someone just because of that...we can actually pick the best of each category regardless.

So long for tonight. Your movie critic, Sandy S

2 comments:

Keith Pyeatt, author of paranormal thrillers said...

We really liked Little Miss Sunshine, too. Dysfunction works! Well, not so much for the grandpa, but still...

Keith, your friendly treasurer

Sandy Schairer said...

Oh, I think the family was delightful...and grandpa got what was coming to him...teeheehee.

The dad summed it up, "Quick, pretend to be normal!"

Isn't that every American family?

Thanks for the comment. Sandy