Friday, April 8, 2011

THE SOCIAL NETWORK

Click on title of the movie to link to IMDb (Internet Movie Database)



My latest rental from Netflix: The Social Network about the guy(s) that invented Facebook. True story or as true as you can get from Hollywood.

It was done in flashbacks (I think) during the court cases where a bunch of guys were suing the dude that made millions of dollars on the idea. (He's now the youngest billionaire in the country. Or maybe the world.)

The movie was mostly talking. A lot of it was in computer programming jargon. But that wasn't really important to the plot so you can tune out the details of that unless you actually understand it. (It might be humorous for all I know.)

The movie was basically a bunch of computer nerds and a couple of jocks, all talking way too fast and getting drunk.

I did get the feel of what it's like on a modern college campus. Harvard wasn't exactly like the college in Animal House but close. (Wasn't Animal House a true story too? I seem to remember I was at that college?)

I got the feel of what a young people's party constitutes now-a-days. It's probably similar to when I went to college. But I was drunk and don't actually remember.

I found this movie to be a study of a guy who didn't have a clue about life and finally realized he was a minor jerk who traded in friends for making money.

It wasn't a comedy but wasn't really a drama either. I suppose it could be called a docu-drama, whatever that is.)

My favorite line: the college guys who thought Mark Whatever stole their idea were discussing whether to sue the guy or beat him up. One of the jocks in the debate said they didn't need to get the Sopranos to beat him up. "We can do that ourselves. I'm 6 foot 5, two-hundred and twenty, and there's TWO of me." He was a twin. (Heck, I spoiled the only funny thing in the movie. Sorry.)

The Social Network was okay, but not great, maybe one notch above The King's Speech but way below Avatar. It was aimed at a specific audience (and much younger than me.)

If you find stories about computer programming exciting, go for it.

No comments: