Friday, January 14, 2011

Brideshead Revisited


I watched the Matthew Goode movie Brideshead Revisited after falling in-love with Matthew, his character Declan and his performance in Leap Year.

First of all, I must say there is no comparison between a comedy and a serious drama, especially if the drama happens to be a rather artistic, British movie, and comedy an America fantasy (which romances happen to be.) American movies might not be the height of artistic endeavor but at least Americans and "Irishmen" know how to show emotions and laugh.

The second thing, I can't get over how different Matthew Goode looks, not just from movie to movie, but scene to scene. Some scenes he looks amazingly exotic, sometimes extremely good looking, in other rather strange with his receding chin, painfully thin physique, and rounded shoulders (are tall people that way because they tried to hide their height when they were growing up?)

Brideshead Revisited is a British movie, indeed, and I think one really has to be British to appreciate it fully. It was a bit dry, if not bland. I was rather disappointed with the lack of emotion (other than the emotions that the characters were feeling but not showing by intent.) Even the sex scene wasn't particularly sexy (at least the British are finally putting sex into their movies.)

The movie was good but not great. Matthew was good but not great. It had a strange flow as if it were a documentary. The scene I liked the most was at the end when Charles comes into the chapel,dips his fingers in the holy water with which, it was revealed, he intended to snuff out the chapel candle. Good for you, Charles, diehard atheist til the end.

Quite frankly, I feel no need to ever see this movie again. I think I will go back to watching Leap Year again and again until I find another Matthew Goode movie (or any movie)I like as much. I think perhaps Matthew'll be better in movies (and even more good-looking) as he gets older.

Another thing I would like to mention. I don't know if the articles on the internet are correct saying that Matthew wasn't happy with his performance in Leap Year, and in fact, didn't like the movie. I find that insulting to the viewers that loved it and/or enjoyed.

Personally, I have something to say about that: "Matthew, you are an actor. To be in the movies you have to be a whore. Not every movie is Shakespeare."

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It makes me rather sad that Matthew didn't like Leap Year. Despite the shortcomings of the movie (mostly cutting and editing mistakes) he did an amazing job of acting. He and Amy Adams made up for what the story line fell short of (tho romance fans are used to that sort of plot.(